Built prior to 1870 (before Colorado became a state), the Alps was originally known as the Topeka Colonies and later the Hadley Cottages. The property served as a stage stop and resting spot for those traveling to and from Boulder's mining districts.
In 1905 the property was completely remodeled and renamed the Alps Hotel and Resort. The Alps Resort provided a restaurant and luxurious accommodations for those traveling on the "World Famous Switzerland Trail Railroad" thought to be the most scenic railroad in the world at the time.
Guests would arrive and depart from the town of Orodelafan's railway station and yard located 300 yards North of the Alps at the confluence of Boulder and Four Mile Creeks. The Alps Boulder Canyon Inn and Red Lion Restaurant along with a few foundations are all that remain of this historic Boulder County mining community.
The original liquor licence for the hotel was signed by Teddy Roosevelt.
The Alps property hosted one of the first trout farms in Colorado which was operated by the Boulder Fish and Game Club, Colorado's first conservation organization dedicated to the stocking of Colorado's high mountain lakes, rivers and streams.
Mining steadily declined in Boulder County and the Switzerland Trail Railroad was decommissioned in the 1930's. One of the railroads engines and several cars have been restored and are on display in Boulder's Central Park.
With the loss of rail travelers the Alps Hotel and Resort fell on hard times. The hotel was eventually closed and owners operated the property as a "bordello" and then for a while as "Art's Bar and Grill".
The 1940's brought the Boulder Canyon Forest Highway known today as Colorado Highway 119 or Boulder Canyon Drive connecting Boulder and Nederland through scenic Boulder Canyon. The state's first fish hatchery was closed and relocated as the new highway passed in front of the hotel following Boulder Creek.
In 1960 the Alps found new life as one of the nations first "Moose Lodges" a fraternal organization. The Moose Club operated as such for 30 years until it was sold in 1990 due to declining membership to the Vanderhart and Ruzicka families.
A massive multi-million dollar restoration project was undertaken and after 2 years of renovations the Alps Hotel reopened as the Alps Boulder Canyon Inn. The Alps became Boulder's and one of Colorado's oldest and finest lodging properties and remains so today. A link between Boulder and Boulder County's colorful historical past and vibrant future.
Quality Assurance :
* AAA, 3 Diamond Awarded.
* Mobil Travel Guide, 3 Star Awarded.
* Frommer's, Preferred Accommodations.
* Westword Magazine, Awarded "Best of".
* "Recommended Country Inns in the Rockies" by Doris Kennedy.
* Denver's 5280 Magazine, Awarded "Top of the Town".